Once you understand that digital marketing, especially content marketing, can help you get real customers, you need to develop a plan that’s right for your tourism business! Indeed, it is now impossible to ignore social networks and digital strategies to increase your visibility with travellers.
While it is true, the marketing plan is important to achieve objectives, specialists in the area have placed special emphasis on developing digital marketing both in social networks and in blogs, forums, websites, etc. Why? Because the user unfolds in that scenario and that is where they look for all kinds of information.
Analyze your tourism activity
The first step is to analyse the current situation of your business to know the starting point and the resources available to you.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Have you implemented other marketing strategies in the past?
- What results have you achieved so far?
- Who all are your competitors and their rank?
- All of this will help you set goals and define your strategy.
Define your goals
Now that you have taken stock of your situation, you need to think about what you want to do.
Your goals don’t have to be something abstract like “getting more customers” or “growing”. It’s important to set concrete goals for yourself with numbers, which you can track and measure.
Also remember to indicate a deadline and to check that your objectives are realistic!
For example, a viable goal might be to get 20 new customers next season and increase your revenue by 10% over the year.
Think about your target audience
In any marketing strategy, it is very important to define your target audience. In order to achieve your goals, you need to focus on a particular type of customer.
To define your buyer persona, ask yourself these questions:
- What are the interests of my target?
- What are the needs it seeks to meet?
- How can I help my potential customers to solve their problem?
- How can I add value compared to my competition?
These questions will help you find what your ideal clients are looking for to effectively implement your plan.
By knowing what your prospects are looking for, you can present yourself as the best solution to their problem.
Define your strategies
Now is the time to define how you are going to achieve your goals!
Digital marketing provides you with a wide variety of techniques that will help you achieve your goals.
Our favourite: content marketing.
This strategy is based, among other things, on the animation of a relevant travel blog, active communication on social networks (Facebook and Instagram in the lead) and the creation of impactful emailing campaigns.
You can also look at paid advertising (with Google AdWords, in particular), influencer marketing, buying inserts on specialized media.
It depends on your goals and resources.
Is your marketing strategy up to your challenges?
Let’s be practical and decline this as a short checklist:
- A website and a merchant site optimized for mobile
- A marketing plan covering before, during and after the flight
- A marketing team that analyses trends in tourist source markets
- A significant portion (at least 20%) of your marketing budget allocated to digital.
Reasons why tourism should have a presence on the Internet
As we mentioned before, consumers spend most of their time browsing the web, especially on social networks where they constantly interact with like-minded people. But, in the case of the tourism sector, is it relevant that it has presence in the digital world?
YES, it is important because thanks to digital marketing:
- Users have a platform where they can comment on their experiences (good or bad) in different trips, tourist attractions and / or hotels; and therefore, it is important to know how they see my brand.
- The receivers consider the opinions of other people, as it depends on them if they decide to make a purchase or not.
- Users not only comment through social networks, but they also comment on blogs or other types of pages. So, it is necessary for the brand to be present in order to control its reputation on those platforms.
- Feedback is critical, as it can influence consumer purchasing decisions.
- Social networks and the web in general have a much greater reach and coverage than traditional media. Therefore, it would be illogical for a company, especially tourism companies, not to enter them if it wants to generate buyers.
- The level of influence that different types of comments have can be an advantage or disadvantage for a brand depending on how they are worked. If you miss a bad user experience with our service, then your business will suffer from all the bad comments you post.
- The amount of information on the web is endless; therefore, many companies place their products and or services there in order to position themselves and in the same way you should know to compare yourself to the competitors.
- The presence of the Internet is global; therefore, the reach that a brand can have can be satisfactory.
- The brand is present 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Anyone around the world can generate an action that benefits the brand, such as booking tickets or buying a tour package.
- Finally, the company can reach the target it is really looking for due to its advanced analytics platform.
Numbers that benefit tourism
Nowadays, if tourism companies are not present in the network, they have no relevance in the market. Brands such as ‘Trip Advisor’ and ‘And what plans?’ Realized this and created platforms in which they offer different types of offers between hotels, trips, restaurants, etc., all of which manage to attract the attention of different users.
The number of followers and buyers they have obtained over the last few years is incredible. They have generated around 18,000 people mobilizing to different parts of the country. Of these, 7 out of 10 share their experiences on the same tourist agency website.
The above gives us an overview of how influential the network can be. More than 50% of people publish their experiences and the survival of tourism companies depends on their comments. This can be an advantage or disadvantage for these companies if their objective is to achieve notoriety in the network.
Having questions in DM for tourism? Our team receives special training to ensure that you are receiving all the information. For all your questions we are here to help. Get free consultation from our team.